Sunday, February 13, 2011

Filled Crepes

My mom used to make crepes for me every morning. Jirik didn't know if he would like crepes, but I wanted him to try them. I thought crepes with strawberries and whipped cream would make a nice pre-Valentine's breakfast. I won't have time to make them on the morning of Valentine's Day (I'm lucky to get up early enough to grab a yogurt on the way out the door), so I decided to make them today (I love relaxing Sundays). They are easy and so good! You can be as creative as you want with the filling: cinnamon & sugar, fruit, jam, Nutella and bananas, blueberries, eggs & bacon, really whatever you want. I definitely recommend the  strawberries and whipped cream though!





Photobucket
Crepes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
dash of salt
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
3/4 - 1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil

Filling/Topping:
strawberries
sugar to taste
whipped cream (recipe below)
powdered sugar

Whipped Cream:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
flavored extract to taste (I used a little vanilla & some strawberry)


Photobucket




Crepes

1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
2. Add 3/4 cup milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Add eggs, one at a time. Finally add the rest of the milk and stir vigorously until batter is smooth.








3. Melt butter and add to batter.
4. Refrigerate for about an hour.
5. Heat nonstick pan and add butter or olive oil. The pan really makes a difference here. I don't use a specialty crepe pan, just a high quality nonstick small pan. My brother gave me a Swiss Diamond pan for my wedding that I absolutely love!
6. Ladle about 1/2 butter in pan. Immediately tilt the pan in all directions so batter covers the bottom of the pan.
7. Cook for about 1 minute or until lightly browned on the bottom. Check by lifting the crepe with a spatula. Quickly turn the crepe over and bake on the other side for 15 seconds.
8. Serve with your choice of filling/topping.
 
 
Filling/Topping
Slice strawberries and add granulated sugar to taste. In a mixer whip heavy cream, powdered sugar, and extract until peaks form. Place whipped cream and strawberries inside crepe, fold it over, and garnish with more whipped cream and strawberries, if desired. I like a little powdered sugar on top as well. I also made a few chocolate covered strawberries to go on the plate in honor of Valentine's Day. Dana is the best one at making these (hers look totally professional), but I like to try. 


1 comment:

  1. I love strawberries in any items. I am late to view this otherwise I will make it for my valentine. The slice of strawberries gives sweet effect to this crepes.

    Kitchens

    ReplyDelete

previous Next home