Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread. Chocolate. Toffee bits. Yum.
 
I use a shortbread cookie recipe from Martha Stewart. These turned out very well and are quite easy to make. I had some leftover chocolate and toffee from making chocolate-covered strawberries, so these glorious cookies did not require a trip to the store to restock my pretty empty pantry (aka the 2 cupboards that are for storing food in my teeny kitchen). These do require refrigerating the dough, so I made the dough Sunday night and baked them on Monday (yay for having Presidents' Day off!)

Photobucket

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil or pure vegetable shortening
Photobucket 
In the bowl of an electric mixer (I love my Kitchenaid. . . a lot . . . thanks mom!) add cream butter, sugar, and vanilla.

Put on that handy paddle attachment and cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla until combined.

On slow speed, beat in flour and salt until combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; chill until firm, at least 2 hours, or overnight.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until 1/16-to-1/8 inch thick. Cut out shapes. I used some valentines cutters I still had out (hearts & lips), a cup to make circles, and the measuring/holder thing that catches the cheese from my cheese grater to make rectangles.
Transfer cookies to an ungreased baking sheet (I like to use parchment paper); chill for 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 300 degrees with a rack in the center.
Bake until just beginning to brown around the edges, about 18 minutes.


In the top of a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally (I just use the microwave, heating and stirring in 20-sec. increments). 
I used some white chocolate as well.

Dip half or one third of each cookie into the chocolate mixture. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to dry, or place them on a piece of parchment paper in the freezer for 10 minutes.

I sprinkled mine with some Heath toffee bits. You could also do nuts, but I'm not a huge fan of them. They are also delicious with just the chocolate.
 **Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for about 5 days.
heavenly

delectable

divine

No comments:

Post a Comment

previous Next home