I ended up finding a recipe online for snickerdoodle cupcakes from Bakerella. She had the great idea of topping each cupcake with a snickerdoodle cookie. I used her recipes for the cupcakes and cookies, but a different recipe for the vanilla cinnamon frosting.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line regular and miniature cupcake trays with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture to creamed butter and sugar in three additions. Alternate with milk in two additions.
- Fill baking cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from trays and let cool.
3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
3-4 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
Beat butter until fluffy for frosting. Add all other ingredients.
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. (I used one 14 X 20 and was able to get all 20 cookies on one sheet. Place about 3 inches apart and they won’t bake into each other.)
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream butter, shortening, and sugar on medium for about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Use a small 1 1/4 inch ice-cream scoop to form balls. Release in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and roll until covered. When coated, you can shape them in a nice round ball and place on the baking sheet. (reserve any leftover cinnamon sugar to top the cupcakes)
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies begin to crack. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
To decorate, pipe on frosting, place one cookie on top and then pipe another dollop of frosting on top. Sprinkle with leftover cinnamon and sugar from the snickerdoodle cookie recipe.
Store in an airtight container.
Cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, oh my!