Monday, April 11, 2011

Orange Julius

It's spring break. It's getting warmer. My thoughts are turning to summer (45 days!!!). My mom used to always make awesome smoothies with fresh fruit in the summers. She has a Vitamix so she'd put whole fruits in there and everything just came out awesome. I have a very basic blender, but I've been trying out different smoothies. First up: the classic Orange Julius. Watch for Brazilian Lemonade in the next few days.

This recipe is even kid-approved :-) I can't say that about most of my recipes because I don't have kids yet. But this morning we had a little visitor (our primary student) who wanted to hang out. We played Wii and had some fun little snacks, including this Orange Julius. 




Photobucket 
 
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8-9 ice cubes
**You can also just use 1/2 cup powdered sugar instead of some of both.
Photobucket
1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.

2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time. 
** I pretty much always follow this recipe, but this last time I accidentally dumped in too much vanilla. To compensate I poured in a little extra orange juice concentrate and some leftover whipping cream. So smooth and creamy :-)

1 comment:

  1. Looking good!! Not many people who live in Chicago know what Orange Julius is but I am happy to say I am not one of those people!! Let's educate them, shall we?? If you get a sec, pop on over to Foodie Friday and link up! Oh, and I found you at Blue Cricket Design. :)

    ReplyDelete

previous Next home