Saturday, January 15, 2011

Best Ever Chili

I was not sure what to name this Chili, as it is different than others. I had my sister Dana over for dinner and the words out of her mouth were "this is THE BEST EVER CHILI!" SO, it is up to you to see if it is worthy of that name. :) I do not measure really when I am cooking, so have fun with my recipes...be creative and add or do not add items according to your personal taste. Here we go, best ever chili:
Start with 1 Lb. ground beef. Brown beef with garlic and half-whole onion. (depending on size and if you like onions. :) Add large can of good quality crushed tomatoes, some tomato sauce and paste for taste and consistency. Add about 1 tsp of chili powder and oregano. If you have it on hand cumin is good in this also. Add salt to taste. (I like things salty) :) In your usual chili recipe you find that it calls for Kidney beans...yuk! I hate kidney beans. SO...I add 2 cans white (great northern) beans, 1or 2 cans black beans and about 1/2 can of pinto beans. This is a part you can really play with and add your favorite kinds of beans. the last thing I add to the pan at this point is about a cup of beef broth. I let these ingredients simmer for a good 15 min....or about how long is take me to get all of the topping prepared. Yes, I did say toppings....this it what makes the chili so amazing. :)
Toppings: Chopped black olives, shredded smoked cheddar cheese, avocado, sour cream, tomatoes, frito chips.




Add these toppings (starting w/ the cheese, so it melts and it is yummy gooey) to your bowl of chili and you are in for a healthy, comforting meal that will last for several leftover meals. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. This seems perfect for winter! I think I may try it out this month!

    ReplyDelete

previous Next home