Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hash Browns

We are going to visit my parents soon and are trying to use up our bag of potatoes before we leave, so I made hash browns for breakfast today. Hash browns are actually one of my favorite breakfast foods, so I'm not sure why I don't make them more often. I should change that... 
Photobucket 
potatoes (I used 5 red ones)
3 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper
Photobucket
I have the slicer/shredder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer, so shredding potatoes was a cinch (I used the coarse shredder).  
 
Next, I used a plethora of paper towels to get as much moisture out of the shredded potatoes as possible. 
Dry potatoes = crispy hash browns
Heat up oil on frying pan and add the shredded potatoes, spreading them out along the bottom of the pan. The potatoes should be spread pretty thin so you get the perfect crispy hash brown. 
 
Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the potatoes. 
 
After a few minutes, lift up one edge of the potatoes and see how done they are. If they have fried to a golden brown they are ready to flip. Use a large spatula to flip the potatoes. Continue to cook until they are golden brown on the bottom. 

3 comments:

  1. mmm! you have so many yummy recipes on your blog!
    i need to get a shredder cause i love hashbrowns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me oh my, you my dear, are a girl after my own heart! I absolutely love to make homemade hashbrowns, although I use a grater with mine. It is amazing how many paper towels you have to use sometimes!

    Anywho, I found you through the creative bloggers party & hop and all I can say is, I am in love! New follower and I can't wait to try these recipes!

    Have a lovely day,
    Suzanna
    zannidify.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade hash browns. I used to get made fun of for it, and haven't had them in awhile. Thanks for posting, I think I'll have this for dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

previous Next home